Wednesday 11 December 2013

The Toilet

Outside the bedroom, facing the hallway was the bathroom. There stood my nemesis. I know why I was scared of the toilet, because anything could happen there! What if a crocodile took a bite of my bottom? What if I flushed the toilet and was sucked down a never ending tunnel full of sewer rats or who knows what! I could wander for years, until eventually I arrive at the coast, still in my underwear and completely lost (and smelly!).

When I visit the toilet, I normally plan it well to make it safe. I try to go when the sun is still shining (very difficult in winter), keeping the door slightly ajar so that in an emergency I can run out without the bother of locks and door handles.  When I flush, I scamper away as fast as I can and hide under my duvet.

That night, it was different.

When it was bedtime, I waited upstairs to use the bathroom. It was dark outside as it was December and I waited in the hallway. My sister Lucy took ages and Elizabeth teased me as I waited by turning the hall light on and off. Finally it was my turn to go to the toilet and I kept the door open as always. I sneaked across the bathroom floor and just as I was about to sit on the toilet, the lights turned out. I screamed out loud, “Liiiizzzzzzz!!” as I was scared and panicking. With tears rolling down my cheeks, I rushed back to my bedroom and dived under my covers whilst still sobbing, “I hate you!”


Eventually I started to fall asleep and dreamed of giant chewy gummy bears.  I awoke needing the toilet because I missed going before I went to sleep.  I got up, shivering as it was freezing, so I put on my fluffy slippers and dressing gown. My heart was beating as I reached for the bathroom door handle.  I turned on the light, the glow filling the darkness so I could see into every corner. I looked at the toilet seat, my imagination making it snarl at me.  With my heart beating faster, I perched on the seat and just as I was about to go the toilet, I wiggled back too far and slipped. My bottom fell straight into the hole with my legs still hanging on the outside. I was well and truly stuck.  Maybe it can be said that I was panicking too much as I tried to lift myself back out. I had visions of me still being stuck by the next morning, with my bum being totally numb.


I wanted to yell for help, but I didn’t want my father to come in and see me, so I just had to push harder. I pushed and pushed until finally there was a popping sound and I flew off the seat. I scrambled as fast as I could, back to my safe, warm, snug duvet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment